WARNING...WARNING...WARNING...

THIS BLOGGER IS KNOWN TO FALL BEHIND IN HER BLOGS. SOMETIMES GOING OVER A MONTH WITHOUT AN UPDATE. PLEASE BE PATIENT WITH HER INCONSISTENCY!!! SHE WILL TRY TO KEEP HER ACT TOGETHER. HA, HA!

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Play! Play! Play!

Beware I got a little carried away its a long one.

Last week I was forced to take an alternate route to work due to traffic on 287. While on my way to work I noticed a Burger King with a large indoor play area. I made a mental note to bring the kids to play sometime soon. Dallas decided to go with some work friends to Ticket Stock in Addison on Friday evening. (The Ticket is a sports radio station that Dallas listens to religiously and this was just one of their many events.) Since he wasn't going to be home I ask Melissa if she would like to go with me and take all the kids to play at Burger King. She was up for anything to get her kids out of the house.

I got off Friday a little later than usual and ran home to grab necessities to take the kids out. I arrived at Melissa's, changed the kids clothes, loaded all the kids and we were on our way. We pulled up to Burger King and walked the kids into the play area. The minute we walked in we should have turned right around and walked out. First off it was very hot in the play area and it wasn't the cleanest place I have been to. We took the kids shoes off and let them go. The ceiling was lined with bright colored tubing that looked like great fun; however, the steps to reach the tubing were huge! Addison was the only one who could pull herself up the large open areas. Melissa was half way up the steps trying to help the boys get to the top. Paige was running crazy and trying to climb up the slide. It only took a few moments to realize this play area wasn't made for young kids. Another older couple was there with their two year old boy/girl twins also. They suggested we go to McDonald's because this play area was definitely too big for our kids. Their poor twins just stood there in amazement as our four ran crazy. Their Mother simply said, "they aren't used to seeing other kids their age." Their twins were so reserved, meek and shy. I guess that kills my rationalization that our children being so wild is just a twin thing.

I took Paige to the car first while Melissa stayed with the rest of the kids. She then took Addison who was screaming, "Play, Play, Momma Play!" as she protested our leaving. I grabbed Ethan and Landon who also protested, "No Play, Play!" Poor kids didn't understand that we were going to another play ground they just thought we were teasing them. We finally got them all loaded up and were on our way to McDonald's. We decided to go the one by my house in case it blew up in our faces. Melissa and I were already sweating and I was feeling bad for suggesting such a disastrous place.

We arrived and unfortunately had to park near the back of the parking lot. All the kids had their shoes off from the previous play area so we decided to just carry them all rather than put shoes on just to take them right back off again. Well by the time we reached the sidewalk Landon and Addison had squirmed their way down and Melissa and I were in tears we were laughing so hard. It isn't as easy as it used to be to carry the two of them at the same time. I had a small advantage on Melissa because I often carry them both to her front door in the mornings. The kids ran to the play area and they were off.

There were more kids than I would have liked but the play area was much better for our age range. It was a large screened in area with smaller steps and there weren't any opening for them to fall through. Melissa and I watched as the kids played. Paige and Ethan had never been to a restaurant play ground so they were very interested and took their time exploring each area. Addison quickly made her way to the large curving slide, shot down it and was immediately back on her way up. Landon was not only playing but putting on a little dance show to the music that was blasting in the room.

I hadn't seen Paige for quite some time and was starting to wonder about her. I was standing near the end of the slide and all the sudden out comes Ethan. He sat up looking a little thrown off, smiled and immediately turned around to climb back up the slide. It was then that I see Paige come out on her back upside down! She just laid there looking shocked and surprised. I wondered if she was going to cry but eventually she just got up and walked away. I couldn't help but laugh picturing her hovering over the slide entrance looking in trying to decide what to do. I imagine she looked a little too far in the slide and ended up going down head first! It makes me chuckle even now writing about it. She went again so I knew it didn't scare her too much.

It all went pretty well for a while until time to eat. Addison wouldn't be still long enough to eat anything. Landon was so wound up he barely ate anything either. Ethan sat like a big boy at the table and ate chicken nuggets and fries faster than I could cut them. Paige only wanted to eat fries and when I refused to give her anymore she decided to take matters into her own hands. She got up and went on a fry hunt. She tried to take fries off other peoples tables and off the floor. I was so disgusted! I fought her the entire time on eating things off the floor. Once Ethan was done he decided to get his own dessert. He was starring at the floor mat but there wasn't anything in front of him. All the sudden he got on all fours and licked the floor! GROSS! I grabbed him and told him no. He then ran from me into areas I couldn't reach as well and licked the floor repeatedly. I finally got him and put him back in the play area hoping he would forget this disgusting little trick. Landon had discovered that the door to the play room had a swinging door that he could easily open. Brilliant on the part of McDonald's let me tell you! Landon's favorite game was definitely running out into the main dining room and scaring Melissa and I. Ethan eventually saw this discovery and joined him. I was done at this point!!!


Look at Addi she was in and out of the high chair in seconds.


My big kids at their first visit to McDonald's.

Melissa and I decided the "good time" was over and it was time to head home. I had already put Ethan's shoes on and was about to start Paige when Melissa finally caught Addison. She ran her out to the car and I was out numbered. Landon and Ethan kept going out the door and Ethan even made into the kitchen twice. Lord help me, why are we here without sufficient adult helpers. New rule- one adult per kid in public no matter what!!! Melissa promptly returned and took Landon. I decided to carry Paige and let Ethan walk since he had shoes on. I got about 5 feet from the car when he realized we were leaving and went dead dog on me! He fell to the ground limp and wouldn't get up. I was about to drop Paige and my drink had already fell to the pavement. I made sure there weren't any cars around and momentarily let go of Ethan's hand to readjust Paige. The instant I let go of his hand he jumped up and ran full force in the opposite direction. I yelled for Melissa and she darted after him. We were both laughing hysterically at this point. Melissa finally catches him and heads back to the car.

We get to the house and I grab Ethan thrilled to finally be home. I opened the front door, turned on the light and before I knew it Ethan was half way down the front yard. Melissa comes around her vehicle to get one of the kids and sees me running after Ethan down the sidewalk. We both were laughing so hard I could barely catch him. We finally got all four kids in the house and set them free. They played as Melissa and I tried to recuperate from our insane trip out. I apologized a hundred times for suggesting the outing but Melissa insisted it was fun.

The kids played until about 7:30 pm when my two decided that was all they could stand. Ethan laid down on the couch and Paige got in her chair. They didn't care if their friends were there or not they were pooped. Melissa headed home with hers and I got mine ready for bed. I gave them a snack and put them to bed. Safe to say they didn't make a sound and fell directly to sleep. Why do my ideas always turn out to be so exhausting? I think the kids really did have fun but we will surely not go "Play" again without an even ratio of parents to kids. Just another lesson learned in my world of parenting.

No comments: