WARNING...WARNING...WARNING...

THIS BLOGGER IS KNOWN TO FALL BEHIND IN HER BLOGS. SOMETIMES GOING OVER A MONTH WITHOUT AN UPDATE. PLEASE BE PATIENT WITH HER INCONSISTENCY!!! SHE WILL TRY TO KEEP HER ACT TOGETHER. HA, HA!

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Buster- Stay or Go?

We finally decided to get another dog for Zoe and our family. We looked at many animals online and wanted to adopt one from a rescue or the pound. We both have issues with paying a large amount of money for an animal from a puppy mill when there are so many animals that need good homes. We fell in love with a 2 year old boxer, pit mix named Buster. We called the Pet Connection organization and arranged for him to come stay at our house for a two week sleepover. His foster mom, Carol, brought him over to the house Friday evening.



I was really nervous for some reason as the time of his arrival drew closer. How would Zoe react? How would he react to the kids and the kids to him? Had we made the right decision or was this all a big mistake? Would our house be up to par for the adoption agency? My mind was running a mile a minute and it hasn't stopped since.

We had to fill out an application and be approved for Buster to come stay with us. They verified everything from our vet records to our personal details. I have to say I was impressed and irritated with the process. I understand the reasons behind the detailed questions especially since some of these rescue animals have been through so much all ready. However I was hardly prepared for the questions that came about Bruce and Brianna. I emotionally was unprepared to handle talking about it all so much.

As you already know Bruce was our Boston terrier that got very sick back in August and we eventually had to put him to sleep in late September. It has been almost 6 months since that horrible day and it still hurts so much.

Brianna was our Pomeranian that we had for over 7 years. She was old, tiny and moody but I loved her so much. On December 13th AT&T workers were at our house to upgrade our TV programming. They had problems with the split wiring in the backyard and were unable to upgrade without digging up our yard. While they were in the yard looking at the wires they failed to tell me that they moved one of the stones that blocks the opening under our gate. I had no idea and Brianna squeezed through to go exploring. We haven't seen her since. I know someone picked her up because she never goes more than one house away when she gets out. She was just so tiny that she could get out easily through a very small opening. I put up signs, went to the pound and kept hoping that someone would give her back. I finally gave up hope a few weeks ago and broke down. We were sitting at home, Dallas was watching Animal Planet and a skunk ran across the TV screen and reminded me of Brianna. The skunk had the same gallop that my Bri had and I lost it. I wailed like a baby for hours and my poor husband didn't know what to do. I think it was good for me to finally face the fact that she is gone but it still hurts. I just have to hope she is being taken care of somewhere.

Zoe has been so lonely since Bruce and Brianna are no longer in our home. We decided that it would not only be good for her but also a new animal might help us heal. Buster and Zoe met on the front lawn and then we moved them to the back yard. Zoe was growling and barking but her hair wasn't raised so that meant no aggression. We let them have plenty of time out back before we brought them in the house. Buster was very submissive he knew it was Zoe's house and had no problem with that. Ethan was a little thrown off by his size at first but Paige liked him immediately. Buster weighs 65 lbs and is definitely bigger than I had imagined. He is about the sweetest thing you have ever met! I don't think that big ol' baby has a bad bone in his body. We made the mistake of letting him sleep in our bed the first night and now it has been hell trying to get him out of our bed.

Buster has been at our house for a little over 5 days and I am absolutely lost as to what to do! He is such a good dog but I am having serious doubts about him staying with us. He is a chewer which I knew ahead of time but I didn't realize how much of a chewer he was. He has chewed up all the toys I bought the dogs including three of the kids balls, a princess doll, a sippy cup, our door stop and a Z. He likes to go to the frig and snatch off the magnetic letters thus he ate a Z. Ha! I have tried to give him bones to chew but I end up taking them away because him and Zoe fight over them. He already dug two holes in the backyard and he brings in so much dirt. He is such a big baby that he wants to get in your lap which is not good due to his size. He bailed out the front door yesterday and ran circles around the neighboring houses until I finally got him back in the house.

Zoe has started to play with him which is wonderful to see. She has always been the largest animal in the home and she is not very fond of being the small one. If she is standing in front of me and he wants to be pet he can easily push her out of the way. In so many ways she deserves it. Zoe used to push Bruce and Bri out of the way all the time. She always used her size to her advantage. She used to bug Bruce to play constantly and now the tables have turned. I don't think Buster is anywhere close to two years old. He has so many puppy mannerisms. I didn't want a puppy because we really don't have the time to give a puppy enough attention.

I just want a dog to play with Zoe and be her buddy. Even though they have been playing rope and tug she still growls and barks every time I touch the dog. If you pet him she gets upset. If the poor dog tries to eat Zoe has a fit. It is so frustrating to have to deal with her loud barking. If I put them outside because the babies are asleep then I have to worry about waking up the neighbors. In the mornings Buster really wants to play and neither Zoe nor myself are in the mood. Zoe ends up barking at him and I end up yelling at them both not to wake up the kids, sticking them outside only to have to put them right back in the house so the neighbors aren't woke up at 7 am. GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR!

Buster has been really good with the kids for the most part. Paige likes to pet him and ride him. The first time she walked up to him and sat on him he didn't even raise his head. He has never even flinched when they scream, run by him or slap him on the head (their version of pet). I do have one BIG problem with him and kids. He wants to lick them every single time he sees them. Now I don't have a problem with licking but when he comes at them he is so large he knocks them down. Then in the process of getting excited and licking them he steps on them. Paige has only been knocked down once as we were walking in from being gone all day. Ethan however has been plowed over a good four times. He of course screams because the dog weighs 65 lbs and it hurts when he steps on my bare foot let alone Ethan's little body. If I turn my head Buster tries to lick them and Ethan ends up crying. Ethan actually started running from him every time he sees him which broke my heart. I can't allow my son to feel threatened in his own home. I can deal with all the other issues that have come up with Buster but not stepping on my children.

I spoke with Dallas about my concerns and decided yesterday to call Carol to come get Buster. He is simply too big for our family. She was of course very disappointed but she understood. She ask if we were interested in another smaller dog or if we were done. I told her we were still interested but honestly I don't know anymore. I didn't realize how much easier life was with only one dog. Every time I turn around Buster is under my feet, opening doors I didn't shut completely and getting in my way. Zoe doesn't chew, dig, knock over the kids and she knows to stay out of my way. I can leave the house with toys all over it and nothing will be missing when I return. Does Zoe even want another companion or does she want to be an only dog? She looks happy when playing with Buster but she is also very irritated and pissy when he is around.

Last night Dallas looked so sad every time he looked at Buster. I kept thinking well maybe I didn't give him enough time to adjust to our home and our rules. Can a dog really adjust in only 5 days to a new environment, people and another animal? To top it all off this morning Ethan was petting the stupid dog and acted like he wasn't scared at all. Now I am wondering if I acted too early in my decision to send him back or if my gut feeling was correct. The kids will grow bigger and Buster can be taught to be gentle with the kids. Am I simply returning the dog because I don't want to deal with all the additional crap a 65 lb dog brings with it? I feel like I should call Carol and tell her to let him stay for the entire two weeks and give him more time to adjust. The other side of me feels like dropping him off today at her door and being done with it. Maybe I should just focus on giving Zoe more attention and she will be fine by herself. Were we really only wanting a new dog to feel the void left by our first two animals?

As you can see I am really torn on this issue. Please email me or comment on your opinion. I need help deciding what to do!!!!




He is short but very stocky and heavy. He is so sweet!

No comments: