WARNING...WARNING...WARNING...

THIS BLOGGER IS KNOWN TO FALL BEHIND IN HER BLOGS. SOMETIMES GOING OVER A MONTH WITHOUT AN UPDATE. PLEASE BE PATIENT WITH HER INCONSISTENCY!!! SHE WILL TRY TO KEEP HER ACT TOGETHER. HA, HA!

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Weekend away

As I mentioned last weekend the kids spent the weekend with Dallas' parents while we painted. It was only the second time they have ever spent the night away from home and the first time they have ever spent more than one night away. I was only planning for them to be gone one night and most of Saturday but I highly overestimated our painting skills and it took longer than expected. Ha!

I arrived with the kids on Friday evening about 4:45pm and Linda and Michael met me in the garage. The kids were of course excited to see their grandparents but a little confused by where we were. Most times when we visit we drop them off on the street above and then go park the car but since I was only this time I decided to go the garage route. We made our way to the elevator with all of their stuff and they still looked a little confused. It only took a moment once the elevator doors opened and they were home. The HALLS! Woo Hoo!

Running the long hotel style halls at Nana and Grand Daddy's apartment has always been a favorite activity. I thought this time they might be a little older and not quite so interested but I was mistaken. They immediately ran out of the elevator and took off down the first long hall. I went to the apartment to start setting everything up while Linda and Michael let the kids run. Paige was running full force when she suddenly stopped. She took a few steps backwards, turned to a door mat that had three monkeys on it, pointed at each one and said "Sheep, sheep, sheep" and took off running again! Priceless!


Ethan making friends with Tobey their dog.


The stuff I had to take this visit was significantly less than ever before. I didn't have to bring high chairs or playpens. I brought a new bed rail we purchased and we pushed their guest bed against the wall. The kids were going to try and sleep in the big bed. I didn't know how it would work but you never will know until you try it.

Once I got the kids all set up I headed home to get busy. I didn't talk to Linda again until later that evening when I called to check how bedtime went. I was shocked to hear that they were still awake and it was 9:00pm!!! Oh my goodness! I was hoping the kids would be wore out from the week and the evening with their grandparents and fall right to sleep. Nope, not even close.


Getting ready for bed.


Too much fun to sleep!

Round One:
First Linda said they put them in bed, told them night night and shut the door. They waited... and didn't hear anything. They both thought, "Wow that was easy." In about ten minutes in comes Paigey. She grabs a book off the floor, runs to Grand Daddy and climbs in his lap for him to read it. Noticing that sister has escaped Ethan soon followed. Linda never told me whether they read the book or not but knowing grandparents I imagine they did. Ha!


Round two:
They put them back in bed and this time Linda decided to lay down with them. The kids have never slept with us or even napped with us in bed unless they were really sick so I knew this was going to be good. She said that Ethan immediately snuggled up under her chin and cuddled. Paige was laying on the other side playing with Nana's fingers ever so softly. Linda laid in bliss between her grand kids and thought they were getting close to being asleep. All the sudden Ethan sat straight up in bed, turned and looked at her and zoomed down about a millimeter from her face. He just stayed there looking at her and she burst out in laughter. She said after that she couldn't stop laughing and had to get out of there. I can only imagine. I would have been doubled over laughing.

Round three:
They left the kids in bed and decided to give them another chance to fall asleep on their own. Soon they hear chattering on the monitor and they peak in the room to find the kids at the head of the bed peaking out the blinds. They were side by side whispering to each other while looking out the window. Of course Linda and Michael were beside themselves with how adorable they were being. Mom and Dad would have been more irritated that they weren't listening and going to sleep. Thank goodness for grandparents!

Round four:
Michael decided after a while that he would try to get them to sleep. He went in the room and tried to sing lullabies to them. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall for this one. I sing them Twinkle Twinkle Little Star at night but it is only once when they go to bed and that's it. They aren't used to people being in the room with them not even each other. Within minutes he was back out of the room claiming failure with the lullabies. Ha!

Final countdown:
The kids were essentially having their first sleepover. They laughed, talked together, played and did everything except go to sleep. They finally passed out from exhaustion at around 9:45pm. They aren't used to sleeping in the same room but apparently they had fun. I was just glad that I wasn't the one dealing with it that night. Grandparents have a way of laughing at things that drive parents crazy!

The kids were up bright and early at 7am the next morning. It was not a great weather weekend so they were forced to stay indoors during Saturday. I imagine they read every book a hundred times and ran the halls till the neighbors complained. I haven't had a chance to get all the details.


Ethan was making faces in the mirror at himself.

They took the kids to Chick fil A for lunch. The kids had a wonderful time playing on the playground, running through the tubes and looking through the openings way up high.




Nap time in the big bed was pretty much pointless from what I hear! I didn't even get details this time. Nana and Grand Daddy simply said, "We tried and tried but it just didn't happen." Ha! I can imagine! Linda said they had put a small blanket over the window before nap like I suggested. It apparently was useless because the kids simply got under it and looked out the blinds. Oh well...


Curious George always getting into something. Nana said not to worry the light bulb was a spiral one that doesn't get hot and Grand Daddy was sitting right there.

Even without a nap Linda and Michael braved taking the kids in public. They took the kids to meet Michael's twin sisters at their living facility. Linda said she was a little worried about their moods since they didn't nap but they didn't want to pass up the opportunity to introduce them. The kids did really well once they warmed up. Ethan tried to get in the fountain in the lobby over and over. Linda said Paige had to touch every single porcelain object in that facility. Glad I didn't have to chase them around that place. I imagine it was exhausting.

Tired girl when they returned.

Saturday night the kids went to sleep a little better. They were asleep by 8:00pm and slept until 7:30am Sunday morning. I think the kids had a wonderful weekend at their grandparents house. They looked like they had been ran over by a truck they were so exhausted but they always look like that when we do something out of the ordinary. I can't wait to hear the rest of the stories from their first weekend away from home. Thanks again Nana and Grand Daddy for keeping them!

No comments: