WARNING...WARNING...WARNING...

THIS BLOGGER IS KNOWN TO FALL BEHIND IN HER BLOGS. SOMETIMES GOING OVER A MONTH WITHOUT AN UPDATE. PLEASE BE PATIENT WITH HER INCONSISTENCY!!! SHE WILL TRY TO KEEP HER ACT TOGETHER. HA, HA!

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Is anything ever easy...

The goal for Halloween this year was to save money. I did not want to have to buy two new costumes for one night. A little over a year ago I bought a Dallas Cowboy’s official cheer leading outfit from one of the moms in my multiples club. They are normally over $50 each and I only paid $5. What a deal! I knew that Paige would look adorable in it and Daddy would be thrilled. I tried the costume on about a month ago and realized that it would have to be this year. The outfit is a 2-4T and barely fits her now. I figured we would save money by only having to buy Ethan’s costume but as usual it turned into a much bigger project than I had intended.

I ordered Ethan’s Cowboy’s football player costume online and waited for it to arrive. It is so adorable! He not only has the jersey, football pants and a helmet but also even has little plastic pads that fit inside the jersey. Too cute! His jersey and helmet are a little big but it will work. Paige’s costume is the exact outfit that the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders wear at games. All I had to do now was get some accessories and we would be all geared up for Halloween.

I really wanted to get pictures taken in their costumes this year. Since the Cowboys are a staple in the Mayfield home I knew the pictures would be loved for many years to come. Due to the quickly filling calendar, I made an appointment for Friday, Oct 16th for pictures. All our other weekends were full and I wanted them done before the Halloween and holiday rush. I definitely underestimated the time it would take to gather all the accessories for their pictures and ended up stressing myself out. Anyone really surprised?


I spent everyday at lunch and after the kids went to bed running around town getting things ready. I found a small football, perfect little blue bows for Paige’s pig tails and small blue Paigey size pom poms. I was getting really excited! My only issue now was shoes for them both. Ethan has brown Air walks and they would not look good with his costume at all. It took me several tries but I finally found a cheap pair of blue and white tennis shoes that were perfect. Dallas insisted that Paige needed white cowboy boots like the real cheerleaders wear. This turned out to be a near impossible feat. I found the exact boot covers online for the costume but by this time it was Wednesday and I would have had to pay for overnight shipping. I don’t think so. I figured I could just make some, simply right. Ha!

I went to every resale shop I could find looking for old cowboy boots big enough to fit Paige’s wide foot. I finally accepted the fact that actual cowboy boots were not going to be an option. Since the pictures were quickly approaching I decided to buy a very cheap pair of boots and paint them white. Genius idea! So I found a pair of boot for less than $10 at Walmart on Thursday at lunch. I bought a can of spray paint and was ready to go. The boots fit Paige so I was thrilled. That afternoon I sprayed that entire can of paint on the boots and they looked awful. They were barely white at all! Dallas suggested Kiltz. He said if anything can cover them it’s Kiltz primer. He ran to Walmart for me while I got the kids ready for bed. Once the kids were down I headed to the garage to attempt my paint job again. After my first coat of paint Dallas said, “They look like painted boots”. Safe to say he got an evil glare from me and left the room. Ha! After several coats of paint they were looking better. I moved on to other projects satisfied that the boots were good to go.

I had to finish getting everything packed and ready to go for pictures. I was planning on picking the kids up from school at 3pm on Friday and heading straight to pictures. I packed everything and all I had left was washing the outfits. Ethan’s was brand new and Paige’s had been worn by other little kids so I wanted to get them clean. I was worried about the new blue jersey fading on Paige’s white outfit so I decided to wash them all separately by hand and hang them to dry. I finally got to bed late and went to sleep so very excited about the following day.

Friday morning was a little crazy because we woke up late. I was gathering everything up when all the sudden my heart dropped. I noticed blue on Paige’s white outfit. What? How? I had washed them separately and everything. How in the world did it get blue all over the skirt? I called my Mom in a panic and she suggested I look at the tag. Well crap I never even thought about looking at the tag before washing it and sure enough DRY CLEAN ONLY! Are you freaking kidding me!!! I had ruined Paige’s outfit by washing it, idiot! I was so mad and upset all at the same time. I dropped the kids off at school and told the teacher I would call her and let her know if we were doing pictures or not depending on if I could fix her outfit. I ran to the cleaners and begged them to do something. She took it back and tried their extremely strong solvent on the blue spots with no results. She said bleach would turn the spots yellow and she was sorry but there was nothing she could do. I started crying and called Mom again. She suggested that I go get a die remover and try that. I ran to Walmart as fast as possible and took everything to work with me.

Once I get to work I start reading on the box of remover and it says not to use on dry clean items. I decided to try it anyway since the outfit was going to be ruined either way. It was to be used in a hot washing machine or cooked on a stove top. I was at work and had neither one of those options. The white bottom of the skirt was really the only bad part so I decided to give it a try. I turned a bowl upside down in the sink and pinned the blue bloomers up so they would not get wet and stain further. Then I boiled bowls of water in the microwave and heated water in the coffee pot. I poured the boiling water around the bowl and soaked the white part in the cleaner. I was really shocked at how well my little invention worked. I got out as much as I could and hung it up to dry.

I am of course a gluten for punishment and decided the boots needed something else. I ran to Hobby Lobby during lunch and found a white and silver rope that I thought would line the boots perfectly. When I returned I hot glued the rope around the boots and they looked great. I had everything packed and ready to go. I called the daycare at 2:15 pm to let them know the pictures were a go and I would be there at 3. Amanda proceeds to tell me that Ethan has only been asleep a few minutes and Paige did not take a nap. Are you kidding me! At that point I had had enough. I called Portrait Innovations and rescheduled. I was not about to take two pissed off kids to try and get pictures by myself. I rescheduled for Sunday morning.


The pictures turned out wonderful!!! I am so glad I waited until Sunday to take them.


PRICELESS...


Our future football star.

Now what do I do with this ball?


Dallas' favorite picture of Ethan. This is his 'I just scored the game winning touchdown' face!


She quickly figured out what to do with her pom poms.


I love all these...



I love her little tummy.


Yes the ball is in his mouth. No hands, pretty impressive.

Now that you have looked at the pictures, do you notice what is missing? That would be Paige's boots I worked so hard on. Apparently when the paint dried it shrunk the boots. No matter what we did we could not get them on her feet. Doesn't that just figure!

No comments: