WARNING...WARNING...WARNING...

THIS BLOGGER IS KNOWN TO FALL BEHIND IN HER BLOGS. SOMETIMES GOING OVER A MONTH WITHOUT AN UPDATE. PLEASE BE PATIENT WITH HER INCONSISTENCY!!! SHE WILL TRY TO KEEP HER ACT TOGETHER. HA, HA!

Monday, September 29, 2008

Surgery moved up

Okay let me first let everyone know that these blogs are a week post dated. Ethan had surgery on 9/24 and I was off most of the week to care for him. I blogged when I had a chance but hadn't had a chance to finish them and post them. Sorry for the confusion...

Ethan at the urologist appoint when we first found out he would have to have surgery. He looks so young and it was only a little more than a month ago.

Okay... back to my story...

The weekend before surgery Ethan was in obvious discomfort from his hernia and was lifting his right leg more than he ever had before. He was all of the sudden not putting pressure on his right leg after diaper changes and even after just being picked up and then put back down. I called that Monday as soon as the office opened asking what I could do to make it better for him until surgery. It was very swelled at this point and even had blue tints to the right testicle. The doctor moved us to that Wednesday and Cooks had a cancellation so we were in. Now I only had a day and a half to prepare.

The next day (the day before surgery) we arrived at Melissa's house and Addi her daughter looked horrible. She had had diarrhea all night and was not feeling well. I reluctantly left the kids and headed to work. Less than 5 mins later I decided I was not comfortable with leaving Ethan there because he could NOT get sick before surgery and he needed it done asap. I went back and took them both home for the day. Thank God I have an amazing understanding job that allows me to take care of my children when I need to.

We had to be at the hospital by 7:30 the next morning and his surgery was scheduled for 9 am. My mom spent the night on Tuesday and dropped Paige off at Melissa's for us before she went to work. Thanks again Mom! We would have had to take her at like 6 am to get back and to the hospital in time and that would not have worked well for anyone.

We arrived at 7:31 am and of course Dallas and I were at each others throats because we were both so nervous. We couldn't find the garage so we said forget it and paid $5 for Valet. They moved our car like 5 feet by the way and that is where it sat all day. Registration was a breeze and Ethan was in a wonderful mood. We made our way up to pre op and waited to check in. The hospital was so nice and Ethan loved the middle with the castle of mirrors up top. We weren't kept waiting long and it was back for our consultation with the anasteseologist. We opted for the giggle juice first, gas, and a caudal epidural to control the pain when he woke up. They dressed him in his little gown, socks, and bands around both ankles. We then went to the playroom to wait for our turn.

He was so cute in that gown.
It was purple with koalas riding space ships and it had two ties in the back. His big diaper butt was separating the gown and I just couldn't quit smiling at how cute his little butt was sticking out of that gown. He had a great time playing in the waiting room!

Once they called our name it was time for his giggle juice. They warned us that he would probably scream and thrash around because it is a syringe up the nose of liquid that burns. They compared it to getting chlorine water up your nose when you jump in a pool. I held him tight expecting the worse and he just sat there coughing a little. She said it didn't taste good at all and you could tell on his face it didn't but he didn't move or scream at all. What a big boy!

Within minutes he was drunk with his eyes half shut and the cutest little face I have ever seen. He started clapping slowly and doing his little dance slowly. He was just a 100% sweeter than he is normally which is hard to imagine I know. They came in next to take him away for surgery. We met his two nurses and they put him on a stretcher and took him away. They were playing peekaboo with him all the way around the corner. Cooks Childrens didn't play around that is for sure. Our surgery was at 9 am and by 9:10 he was gone.

Dallas and I walked out to go find the waiting room. I immediately felt panic come over my entire body. I had to go outside for a few minutes. I came back in and just couldn't control the panic attack I was about to have. I knew Ethan would be fine but my body thought otherwise. I was shaking and feeling faint. It didn't help that I hadn't taken my Lexapro for three days because I ran out. I ask Dallas if I should take the half Zanac I brought with me and he said, "What! You haven't already!" "Yes, yes take it now!" Does he know me or what. I took it and within 5 to 10 minutes I was fine now all we had to do was wait...

No comments: